Translate

Sep 16, 2010

Know your enemy!!

 

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: PAPUREC <papurec@papurec.org>
Date: Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: Know your enemy!!
To: ReportersNotebook-owner@yahoogroups.com


Michael,
 
Of course, there were all kinds of personalities in the German Army.  I, myself, have experienced kindness from a German Air Force officer, and often wondered whether he survived the War, - and hoped that he did.  But there is no escaping the reality of the German intends and brutality during the War.  The few memories of kindness and humanity are soon overpowered by the other pictures that descend into the mind.
 
This story reminds me of Christmas Eve early in the War.  It must have been either 1939 or 1940.  My Mother and I went to spend Christmas Eve with my Aunt and her children about 25 kilometers outside of Warsaw.  We had to walk from the train some distance to my Aunt's home.  It was the countryside. It was late in the afternoon, snow on the ground, cloudy and quite desolate.  Not far from her home, there were military buildings.  A sole German soldier was on guard outside.  We had to walk quite close by him.  After the meal (whatever it was improvised at that time), as tradition required, we sang Christmas carols. After Silent Night, we heard a distant voice singing Silent Night in German. Surprised and moved, we sang again.  Then, there was a discussion between my Mother and Aunt.  What should be done. Should we share whatever food we had with him.  A lonely, cold German joined us in celebrating Christmas.  But he was the enemy, invaded us, killed our people, destroyed our country.  But, it was Christmas. But, he was the enemy.  But, he was just a soldier.  But, ... But, ... But,...  While the "Buts" were being philosophised, my GrandMother packed a meal for the soldier and told the only male among us to take it to him.  He was my ca 10 year old cousin.  There was some objection by his Mother and my Mother, but my GrandMother insisted that the boy take the meal.  It was a Christian thing to do.  My cousin was quite ready for the adventure. He was told to hum the Silent Night so that the soldier would hear him coming since it was pitch dark by then.  He managed to make contact and there was acceptance by both sides.  I often wonder whether this soldier survived and how the incident affected him.
 
All best,
Dana
 
  
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 7:51 PM
Subject: Know your enemy!!




 

here's a story about those terrible Nazi monsters you might not see on CNN or controlled mass media anywhere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJynOWktP7U

--
Heinz 

 "If my heart could do my thinking And my head begin to feel, I would look upon the world anew And know what's truly real." Van Morrison




 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments: